Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Petrol price increase... not again!

It seems that petrol prices increase with a disconcerting regularity. If I had a penny for every time I have heard the phrase "remember to fill up your car today, petrol prices are increasing tomorrow", I would be a wealthy man, provided of course, I too didn't need to fill up.

At moments like these, when the impending doom of yet another hike is upon me, I take some time to reflect on ways to stem the tide of this petroleum beast. The logical choice would be to change my mode of transport, a bicycle sounds really good, but just isn't practical in Johannesburg, walking a definite no no. While a motorbike or scooter is an option, the aura of danger surrounding these vehicles is enough to put me off. Cancel public transport due to unreliability and we are once more right back where we started... a Car.

The good news however, is that there is ample choice when buying a car, and with the advancements in technology, hybrid cars (and hopefully electric cars in the not to distant future) are definitely worth considering. Just how much can you save financially buying a hybrid car? In the short term, probably not as much as you would save scratching the idea and taking the extra 34c per litre in your stride. This however, is not the case on a more long term timeline. The effects of a more fuel efficient car on your wallet and the environment will be quite significant going forward and hopefully the prices of these cars will come down too, thus making it easier for us to help ourselves and the environment.

A while ago I wrote a post on the most fuel efficient cars in South Africa, give it a read if you are interested in upgrading.

1 comment: